Work in progress, began December, 2013
It took me a while to get my stars together and put the backing on. Now that I’ve got that organized I’m feeling a lot more confident about both of these stars. The issues I’d had with the pink and purple star actually became somewhat inconsequential, and I’m sure the slightly mismatched seams won’t be noticeable once it’s quilted. Some of the seams are a little lumpy, but that can be hidden with some mid to high loft batting. Although I haven’t conquered the desire for perfection, I am starting to love the little tricks that can be used to disguise flaws. And it’s always good to remember that no one expects my work to be perfect but me – especially as I’ve only been at this for a year.
The batik star has also turned out quite nicely. I think I made a good decision to go with a lighter backing; it’s really brightened the whole thing up.
I followed Amy’s directions on this one, but I think in future I’ll skip the single pieces of backing and split them in half to avoid the pesky y-seam. It’s not a terrible process, but I’m having some issues getting those seams to sit flat.
Apologies for the photography. The first was my somewhat creative solution to finding a space in the apartment large enough to capture the entire quilt top, and the second was taken during the tail end of the first storm of 2014, after the snow had stopped but while the wind was still high enough to make matters difficult.