It may have taken me three months, but I’ve gotten around to binding, cleaning up, and photographing my Kite Flight quilt! I mentioned in a previous post that I had attempted to machine finish the binding, but hated the result so much that I ended up taking it all off. By that point, the original binding was terribly warped, so I had to cut and attach a new piece. I’m so glad I did though! I’ve used the machine finish on cushions, smaller quilts, and a larger one I didn’t care so much about, but I just couldn’t stand it on this one. I wish I’d taken a photo: it just looked wrong. There was also a huge amount of both cat hair and batting lint that took some time and some help from Nick to remove.
I’m so pleased with what Mandy did with the quilting. I wasn’t sure whether or not to be a bit nervous about giving her free reign with this, but it turned out beautifully. I’m going through a bit of a feather phase at the moment, and I love how she managed to make them work with this pattern. I’m grateful that she agreed to use two layers of batting on this one. I sent it with one layer of Dream Orient, then later worried about the puffiness of some of the seams, and sent another. In retrospect I probably should have sent a second piece with a higher loft, but we live and learn, right? It looks wonderful as is, and Mandy did a really great job of making those problematic seams lie flatter. She talks a little about it here. Mandy quilts with So Fine, by Superior Threads.
Here’s a photo of the backside, where the quilting is a little more obvious:
After our incredibly drawn out winter, I’m a little sad that I didn’t get around to this in time to use it. It started out at 56”x56”, and is useful as either a lap quilt, or a wall hanging. Unfortunately we recently discovered that there are no studs in the walls here, so this will be going in storage either until we move, or until the cool weather starts setting in. However, seeing as it just became warm, I’m in no hurry for that!
This is my little stand against people hiding behind their quilts when they photograph them. I know that this is sometimes necessary due to size considerations, but I think it’s such a shame.
Hopefully I can get my Chatterbox quilt cleaned up and photographed soon. It’s a little bit of a mess at the moment, but that’s a long story that belongs in a separate post.