I’m sharing an old finish with you: my re-shuffled Lone Star. I’ve been holding on to these photos since September, partly because this was a gift and I didn’t want to post about it until I had the postage sorted, at least, and also because I wasn’t quite sure how to write this post.
In July, my third cousin James was killed in a hit and run accident while on holiday in Greece. He and his friends were celebrating the end of high school, and looking forward to the next chapter of their lives. The man who killed James was driving with a blood alcohol content several times higher than the legal limit, and is now facing criminal charges, although that it little comfort to my family.
I knew when I was making this that it would be a gift quilt, but I didn’t know whom it was for, and I don’t know why I felt that. It wasn’t because I didn’t love it; I do. Maybe it was the suggestion from Lynne at the shop that one should always keep a quilt or two on hand for emergencies.
I quilted this one myself at Laurena’s. Considering my very small amount of experience using the longarm, I’m really pleased with how this turned out. Hindsight is 20/20, and of course there are things I’d do differently now, after having spent the last three months thinking about it, but it is what it is.
Unfortunately the quilting didn’t particularly stand out in the photos, because there wasn’t enough contrast in quilting density in certain areas. Thus, I learned that mixing up the density of the quilting makes for a much more interesting look. The other thing that you probably can’t see is the quilting on the star itself. There are a lot of long, straight, lines in there. These lines are not my friends. I’m sure it’s a matter of practice, but I’m told that a lot of machine quilters have issues with them. The lines follow the shape of the star to the middle. I think there’s probably not enough quilting in there. The batting says it can be quilted every seven inches and still stay together. It wasn’t until I was doing the finish on the binding that I realized that the arms of the star are far longer than seven inches, so I’m really hoping that the batting holds.
This was made and quilted with love for James’ mother, stepfather, and sister, and I hope it will be accepted in the same spirit when it arrives (even if it’s very late to the party), which I expect it to do within the next few days, if it hasn’t already.
Pieced with: Aurifil Cotton Mako 50wt.
Quilted with: Aurifil Cotton Mako 40wt.
Batting: Dream Wool.
Until next time: happy stitching. May you and your families stay safe over the holidays.