A relatively timely finish post as far as my updating goes. This one’s only been sitting around, completely bound, for a couple of weeks.
If you’ve been reading my blog for several months, you’ll know that as excited as I was to set out on this project, it just became a major pain to put together (it did take me almost five months to piece it), but as I said before, it was so (or maybe sew) worth it! I can’t wait until we move and I have an adequately sized sewing room; it will be so much easier topiece large quilts on a table that’s larger than a high school desk. I couldn’t be happier with how this turned out, and Mandy did the most amazing job with the quilting.
We discussed going along a similar track that Angela did in the original, where she used a different fill for each strip, but decided to go with an overall fill that drew attention the colors. It has all my favorite bits and pieces in it – feathers (I’m oh so in to feathers!), swirls, concentric circles, pebbles, paisley, flowers… there’s a bit of everything in here. Aren’t these borders and the micro-work amazing? I’d expected a micro stipple, but was astounded to see micro flowers. I hope this didn’t result in Mandy developing RSI!
It’s just gorgeous and has great texture. When I bump in to Mandy at MQX next year I’m going to have to give her the hugest thank you hug ever.
I love this quilt so much that I’m going to subject you to a bazillion photos of it.
Best of all, I finally have a quilt large enough to fit the bed, so after two years of quilting, I get to sleep underneath something I’ve made – because somehow napping on the couch doesn’t quite cut it. And that extra layer of insulation is going to come in handy as winter progresses.
Nick and I took my Shoreline out with my Chatterbox, so they both got the nighttime shots (which Nick didn’t particularly like), followed by the daytime treatment. The wind was unkind to us on both occasions, but slightly more tolerable during the day.
As you can see, I just couldn’t wait to snuggle up underneath my new quilt. Is it painfully obvious that the bench was incredibly uncomfortable? And clearly I’m still continuing my pushback against people hiding behind their quilts when they take their photos.
Contrary to my previous experience, the back of the quilt actually didn’t show the quilting as well as the front, but here it is anyway. This is the first quilt I’ve had the chance to use one of my labels on. I love the idea of labeling quilts (although I understand that not everyone does) because the historian in me thinks it’s a great little touch for prosperity. I’m not assuming that all my quilts are going to make it to my great grandchildren (assuming that we have them) but I hope that at least some of them do. I’m going to have to try and take really good care of the ones I like the most.
Thus, my final finish of 2014 is up and I can go back to making gifts for the trip home in February.
Only one outtake from these shoots:
Happy stitching to you all!
Pieced with: Aurifil Cotton Mako 50 wt.
Quilted with: So Fine by Superior Threads.
Quilted by: Mandalei.
Batting: Dream Wool.