It’s unsurprisingly been a hectic and disordered week here. I didn’t get nearly as much accomplished as I’d hoped, but obviously there are some things that have to be prioritized over quilting.
I always feel as though I need a certain amount of time to make getting the machine up and running worthwhile, but paper piecing is something that can easily be done a little at a time. I managed to get through a nice chunk of my Marquise quilt this week.
As I determined that swapping the fabrics within the blocks was a little complicated, I decided to make the blocks a little out of order, as I was getting a little tired of working with the same fabrics, so things will be popping up in a bit of a random order from here on out. I was really fun to dip in to some of the colors I’m a little more drawn to.
There’s a downside to the way I’m making this. The kit provides enough papers to make the quilt row by row, but that’s it. As I wanted to make all the blocks then put them on my design wall (or the floor, because they’re undoubtedly too heavy to stick to the flannel) and play around the layout a little, I’m very close to running out of papers. Fortunately I found a website where I could order some more – is that horribly wasteful of me? I just can’t devote the time to hand cutting card from a template, and I haven’t seen a punch for the honeycomb hexie yet – so I’m waiting for those at the moment.
For anyone who’s interested, I’ve worked out that it takes me around four hours to complete each full block. I made the Indigo block in one go, and honestly, it’s not something I’d ever do again. By the end of it I could barely see, but I was so determined to get it done. I’m incredibly happy that I purchased the matching thread, although I was skeptical about the need for so many at first. Having really closely matching thread really makes such a difference. I’m very happy to admit that my stitches are less than even, but I absolutely don’t think it’s going to be a problem once I have this quilted. The one thing I’ve learned so far regarding the thread is to match the darker colored fabric. Light thread seems to show much more obviously against a dark background than darker thread does against a light one.
That’s it for this week’s WIP Wednesday update. Hopefully I’ll have something from the machine to show you next week.
Until next time, happy sewing!
Here’s what I have so far: