Here’s my next attempt at being social by linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.
I did warn that my Marquise quilt top would feature in a ridiculously large number of work in progress posts, didn’t I? Hopefully they’ll be interesting as they go along.
First of all, I’m really surprised that I managed to get through two (well, two and a half, but I didn’t see the point of posting a half block) of these in a week and a half. I’m off to New Hampshire this morning for MQX East, so I expect to hammer out a few more while I’m traveling, but I think that the progress will be slower going after that.
I am at the point of taking a handful of these out with me everywhere I go. So far I’ve had received an interesting mix of curious questions, and accusations of me being anti-social. The latter might be somewhat true, but I can hold a conversation and piece at the same time.
Although I’ve played with hexies before (and no, I still haven’t decided quite what to do with those) I decided to tackle this in a slightly different way, and it’s provided an interesting learning curve.
To begin with, I saw myself going slightly crazy having to tack baste all of these pieces, so I went the recommendations of the staff at Quiltique, and picked up a Sew Line glue pen for basting. I probably needed a little more in the way of instruction, or perhaps some adult supervision, when I was putting these together, because I really over did it with the glue. This, not surprisingly, caused all sorts of problems, from getting the needle through the fabric, without catching the paper, to removing the papers, and pressing the seams flat. Lesson definitely learned. I’m relieved that only I basted three blocks on that first occasion, and I very much hope that the sewing will be a little easier in future.
Problem number two: mixing the prints around was a lot more complicated than I thought. I thought I’d stick with arranging each block by colorway, which means that options for switching things around are slightly limited. One print can only be exchanged for another in the same part of the block, and arranging that without any repeats has been interesting. I might stick to making Tula‘s blocks in the future, and just mix them up a little when I get to the design board.
I guess it’s time I should be thinking about boarding my flight. Hopefully I’ll have some interesting things to report to you after the weekend. I’m really excited to be finally meeting Mandy after so much online correspondence. I’m taking some classes with some very exciting instructors, although I’m more than a little nervous that because of the move and the travel, I haven’t used a longarm since October. I’m definitely having a little bit of a crisis of confidence about this one, but I’m sure I’ll have a great time and learn a ridiculous amount.
Until next time, happy stitching!